Balance Body & Mind
It’s already difficult enough to balance, when you add fast-paced energy and a mind bursting with ideas to the mix, it can be even more challenging! I have found tuning into the calming, grounding and soothing lunar energies of Ardha Chandrasana or Half Moon Pose has been extremely beneficial for me lately.
As I connect with grounding and rooting my energy to the earth on my standing leg, I re-focus; while lifting and extending my back leg, I find my balance once again; both physically and mentally!
If you regularly practice free-standing Half Moon or if you are just getting started with challenging balances in your practice, this supported variation against the wall is a great way to establish your mind-body connection. This variation will stabilise your shoulders, fully open your chest and hips to deepen your Half Moon pose. It will give you a sensation of the two opposing energies of grounding down, while lifting up to take your balance that stage further.
Ardha Chandrasana – Half Moon Pose
– Place a block near a wall in front of your right foot.
– Stand with your back against a wall and step your feet wide.
– Turn your right foot to 90 degree angle with your left foot turning slightly inward.
– Extend your arms to a T position.
– Exhale, bend your right knee, reach your right hand to the block, as you do, lift your left leg up.
– Inhale, extended your left arm upward, allow the back of your body to rest against the wall.
– Firmly plant your right foot, lift the tight thigh muscle, as you do, you will feel the knee cap lift, flex your left foot, and press your heel to the wall.
– To engage fully with the openness and support of the wall in your chest and hips, lift your pelvis and press back against the wall, revolve your abdomen and chest, connect with the opposing nature of the pose, while you lengthen from your pubic bone to the crown of your head, reach back through the inner left leg towards your foot.
– Feeling fully supported, gaze upwards towards your left thumb.
– Breathe! Smoothly and evenly.
– Exhale, return the raised arm and leg and repeat on the left side.
Have fun with this supported variation!
Until next time, natural health and healing wishes,